Explosion at Newark apartment leaves a man in the hospital

? A Newark man is in the hospital after a violent explosion at his apartment moments after he lighted a cigarette.

The victim?s sister, Nicola Hampson, says an exposed pipe was in the apartment where an oven should have been. Hampson also says the apartment had no heat since her brother moved in. The blast blew out windows and left the victim with burns on his body.About 12 other residents in the building were also taken to the hospital. The explosion remains under investigation.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."