Fire tears through townhouse complex in Bernards Township

(02/02/06) BERNARDS ? Four families in Bernards Township are homeless after a fire tore through their townhouse building Thursday.

Resident Bob Marut says he couldn?t do anything as he stood on the street and watched firefighters battle the flames inside his home. Marut hopes he?ll eventually be able to get back inside and recover some items possibly left undamaged by the fire. According to Marut, the only belongings he and his wife currently have outside the house are the clothes on their backs.

Although firefighters were concerned for a time about the building?s firewall, it held up and prevented the flames from spreading further. Residents say the fire started in a chimney. Investigators say that is possible, but they?re going to wait until their probe is complete before making any definite statements.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."