Blaze leaves two Belleville families homeless

? Two Essex County families are homeless after a fire ripped through their Belleville apartment building Sunday.

Fire investigators believe the blaze started in the basement of an apartment building on Washington Avenue. Smoke filled the building and eventually the roof collapsed. Firefighters say the cold weather froze the water in the hose, making it harder for them to battle the blaze.

Officials say an alert tenant smelled smoke and got everyone out of the building. There were no major injuries.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."