Custodian claims moldy Bergen Community College ceiling caused illness

Posted: Updated:

(02/28/06) PARAMUS ? A custodian at Bergen Community College claims mold from a leaking ceiling made him sick.

Raymond Koning says the problem is caused by a leaky roof over the college?s Pitkin Education Center. According to Koning, water has been soaking into the ceiling tiles and creating a prime growing environment for mold. Koning says one room in particular smelled like mushrooms and caused him to become ill.

The college?s vice president says a rubber membrane on an exterior wall will temporarily solve the problem. A major renovation project is also underway to fix the leaking roof problem for good. Koning asked for a transfer out of the wing in question, which was granted. College officials are having an environmental engineer review the situation.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."