Potent fumes penetrate Ridgefield High School, force evacuationPosted: Updated:
(09/20/06) RIDGEFIELD ? Emergency officials say roof work at Ridgefield High School likely led to some frightening moments for teachers and students Wednesday.
According to police, fumes from tar used on roof leak repairs probably caused dozens of students and staff to fall ill. One teacher was sent to the hospital after complaining of nausea and dizziness. Fifty other students in that part of the school were also examined. Administrators eventually evacuated the school and sent students home.
Police also say the gym floor had recently been worked on, and fumes from the polyurethane coating may have contributed to the strong fumes. Windows at the school will be kept open at the high school until 11 p.m. in order to ventilate the building. Administrators say the school will be open Thursday morning.