Fire officials warn of dangers in holiday decorations

This week News 12 New Jersey has reported on three fatal fires. There has been no word on what caused those blazes, but News 12 New Jersey is taking a look at what you can do to reduce the risk of a fire at your home.

George Wallace, a fire official in Metuchen, tells News 12 New Jersey as soon as weather turns chilly, there is an up-tick in dwelling fires.

Wallace also explains that holiday decorations such as candles may turn out to be deadly. He advises to never leave a candle unattended.

The firefighters also remind residents to keep candles away from trees, water your live trees to keep them from drying out and again, to shut off any lights when you aren't home.

For more information visit:State of New Jersey Department of Community Affairs News ReleaseChristie Administration Officials Urge Families to 'Check The Halls' for Fire Hazards This Holiday Season

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."