Couple killed in Teaneck house fire linked to storm

(AP) - Authorities say an elderly couple died whena kerosene lamp apparently sparked a fire at their northern NewJersey home that had lost power during the weekend nor'easter.

Teaneck police tell The Record newspaperthat 86-year-old Alberta Mood - a double-amputee who used awheelchair - and her 88-year-old husband, Henry Mood, died in theblaze that began early Monday.

Neighbors say electricity has been out in the neighborhood sinceSaturday, when a fall snowstorm blew through the area. And policearen't sure if the couple was using the kerosene lamp was beingused for light or heat.

The lamp was in a first-floor bedroom where Alberta Moody's bodywas found.

Teaneck house fire leaves 2 dead

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."