Elderly couple found dead in their Holland Twp. home

Some residents are outraged after an elderly couple was found dead in their rural hilltop home after five nights without power.

Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning from a backup generator appears to be the cause of the deaths. According to investigators, the generator was running inside an unvented garage. Robert Stephens, 84, and his wife Susanna Stephens, 79, were found dead inside their Milford Borough hilltop home. Police say the bodies were discovered by a relative and an electrical contractor who was restoring power to the neighborhood.

The medical examiner's office is still trying to determine an exact time and day of death.

In light of the tragedy, officials from Holland Township and all over New Jersey want to remind residents that this weekend, as daylight savings ends, it's a great time to test your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."