Things to do ahead of Irene's arrivalPosted: Updated:
(AP) - Charlie McKenna, head of New Jersey'sHomeland Security Department, warns residents to prepare early forHurricane Irene.
Here is a checklist of things to do before Irene's suspectedarrival late Saturday:
- Top off gas tanks. If power is knocked out, gas pumps and ATMswon't work.
- Have a working flashlight and batteries handy.
- Have a battery-operated radio (to be able to listen to newsreports about the storm).
- Fill drug prescriptions.
- Have a first-aid kit at home.
- Stock supplies of water and nonperishable food for 5 days. Anadequate water supply is 1 gallon of water per person per day.
- Stock baby formula and diapers, if there are babies at home.
- Heed evacuation orders from the Office of EmergencyManagement.
Disaster Preparedness for Petshumanesociety.org