Pool chemical mixture causes hazmat emergency in Wayne

A woman in Passaic County mixed pool chemicals, causing a toxic reaction yesterday.

Police say she mixed two chemicals in the same bucket near her backyard pool in Wayne. The mixture erupted, shooting white smoke and poisonous gas up in the air. No one was hurt and firefighters were called in to clean up.

Experts say pool chemicals are always clearly marked. They say when in doubt, you should always read the label.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."