Careless smoking may be to blame for fatal Middletown fire

Four people were killed this morning after a six-alarm fire tore through a Middletown home.

The flames broke out just before 3 a.m. at 135 Statesir Place in the Fairview section of Middletown as everyone in the home slept. Officials at the Monmouth County prosecutor's office say a cigarette or match placed into a metal wastepaper basket may have started the deadly fire.

One of the residents, Stephan Banovich, was able to escape. Banovich's sister-in-law followed him outside, but went back inside for a pet and died. His wife, Sheridan "Sheri" Banovich, 63, was killed along with their daughter, 23-year-old Diedre Banovich. The daughter's live-in boyfriend, Anthony Cadalzo, 24, also died.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."