Residents allowed home after post office fire prompts evacuations

Residents are allowed back home after a transformer fire near a New Brunswick post office prompted evacuations.

PSEG says an underground transformer malfunctioned on Kirkpatrick Street, causing a fire at around 11 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say that they recall hearing an explosion before seeing the flames and smoke.

A two-block radius around Bayard and Kirkpatrick streets was evacuated as a precaution.

Postal services at the Bayard Street Post Office will be temporarily relocated to the post office at 33 Handy St. 

Bayard Street P.O. box customers can pick up their mail by presenting a photo ID Tuesday at the Handy Street location.

There were no injuries reported from the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."