Report: West NY apartment fire started in kitchen

A large apartment fire that displaced dozens in West New York may have started in the kitchen in one of the units, according to WABC.

The flames broke out at around 10:30 p.m. Friday at 234 51st Ave.

Officials say the building contained a ground-floor business and several apartments on the three floors above.

Witnesses say they saw smoke on the top floor before an explosion.

Authorities say everyone made it out of the 25-unit building safely. One firefighter suffered burns, but has since been released from the hospital.

The Red Cross and Office of Emergency Management are assisting the more than 60 displaced residents.

Note: We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with some videos on News12.com. Select 'News 12 Live' for the latest news and weather updates.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."