Authorities: Fatal Garfield house fire ruled an accident
(AP) - A woman killed in an accidental house fire in northern New Jersey was facing embezzlement charges for allegedly stealing money from a cemetery while serving as its director.
Fire officials tell The Record that the blaze that killed 50-year-old Denise D'Agostino on Sunday night was caused by a malfunctioning appliance on a kitchen counter.
A police officer who was patrolling the streets saw flames coming from the River Drive home. He tried to enter the home, but was pushed back by the flames.
D'Agostino's 19-year-old daughter was treated at a hospital for possible smoke inhalation.
D'Agostino and her former assistant were charged in the alleged embezzlement of $180,000 from St. Mary's Cemetery in Saddle Brook, where D'Agostino had served as director. Both had pleaded not guilty to theft charges.