Officials: 8 sickened by fumes in Elizabeth

Officials say hazmat crews were in Elizabeth today after eight people were overcome by fumes at an apartment complex.

Elizabeth firefighters say the Westminster Avenue incident should be a lesson to everyone not to be too overzealous with pesticide. Firefighters say one tenant sprayed too much pesticide, causing eight people to get sick.

Officials say a young child and an elderly woman, who were treated with oxygen outside the apartment, were among the four tenants who became sick. Four first responders also became sick after arriving on the scene.

Firefighters say they evacuated part of the building until the fumes cleared. Officials say no one was seriously hurt in the incident.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."