Ex-volunteer fire chief saved by Butler's finest

Two of Butler's finest are credited with saving a former volunteer fire chief over the weekend.



John Ryan was at his home on Belleview Avenue Saturday when he blacked out in his garage after a small explosion. Ryan says he went into the garage after he noticed a small glow. He says within seconds the whole roof ignited and his wife was unable to drag him out.



Sgt. Colleen Pascale, who is also a volunteer firefighter, and officer Bryan Gordon rushed to the scene and were able to drag him to safety. Sgt. Pascale says the two were able to get him out even though officer Gordon had inhaled a lot of smoke.



Ryan, who only suffered a few bruises on his hip, says he plans to speak to council members about officially honoring the two heroes.



"If they didn't pull me out, I was definitely gone," says Ryan.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."