Conviction, prison sentence in sex assault case overturned

A New Jersey man who was convicted of sexually assaulting a young girl has had his conviction overturned and will get a new trial.



An appeals court ruled Wednesday that the Middlesex County prosecutor's office intimidated a potential defense witness at Sergio Bognar's trial.



The court says that prosecutors told the man that he would be prosecuted if his testimony was different from previous testimony and "inconsistent with the state's theory of the case." The witness did not end up testifying.



A spokesman for the prosecutor's office declined to comment.



Bognar, of Sayreville, had been sentenced to 17 years in state prison in March 2015 after he was found guilty at trial of sexually assaulting a girl over seven years starting when she was 10.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."