Fire damages new apartment complex in Maplewood
A massive fire damaged a new apartment complex in Maplewood early Saturday morning.
Fire crews were called to the Avalon Bay Community's Maplewood Apartments on the 200 block of Boyden Avenue around 1:35 a.m.
The apartment complex was vacant since it was still under construction. Managers were just weeks away from opening and had been accepting applications for the luxury apartments, with studios starting at just under $2,000.
More than half of the complex's 235 units were damaged or destroyed. More than 100 firefighters helped to extinguish the massive fire.
According to an Avalon Bay spokesperson, the on-site fire-watch personnel discovered the flames and called local responders.
Officials say no one was injured. There is no word yet on what may have sparked the flames.
It was not immediately clear how many residents had already filed applications for an apartment, or if their move-in dates will be postponed.
The fire comes nearly two years after a fire at another Avalon Apartment complex in Edgewater left nearly 500 people homeless.