Kenilworth girl who wanted to play on boys’ basketball team allowed back to school
A judge has ruled that a Kenilworth girl expelled from her Roman Catholic school after her family sued because it wouldn't let her play boys' basketball must be allowed to return to school.
Appeals court Judge Amy O'Connor ruled Friday that 12-year-old Sydney Phillips and her younger sister have to be allowed back to St. Theresa's School until a court hearing.
The family went to court after the Archdiocese of Newark informed the family Wednesday of the expulsion. The archdiocese says that the parent and student handbook says that parents will be requested to remove their children if they file lawsuits against the school.
A different judge last month denied the family's attempt to allow Phillips to play on the boys' team after the girls' team was canceled. The school said that the Phillips did not sign up in time to play.
A spokesman for the Diocese of Newark tells News 12 New Jersey, "We are aware of a stay of the expulsion. We will not comment on the status of the legal proceedings."
Phillips participated in a practice session with the WNBA's New York Liberty team earlier this week.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.