Crews battle fire at Lakewood retirement community
Fire crews responded to a fire at a retirement community in Lakewood early Sunday morning.
The flames sparked around 6 a.m. at Leisure Village on Edinburgh Lane.
Firefighters say it took them around 35 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which affected three of the six units in the community. Officials say the fire began in the middle of unit of the three, traveled up to the attic and crawl space and then jumped to the two neighboring units.
Lucy Kruger Menegus, 83, says the fire started in her bedroom, but she had fallen asleep on her living room couch Saturday night and avoided the blaze.
"So when I opened my eyes I saw smoke," she says. "Then I went outside. I had my phone in my pocket and called my daughter and said 'please, the house is on fire.'"
Officials say all three affected units are no longer livable, and Menegus' is a total loss.
News 12 is told that both the Lakewood Township and Point Pleasant fire departments responded to the fire.
Officials say all of the occupants of the three affected units managed to escape unharmed, but a Lakewood Township firefighter was hospitalized with a minor injury.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.