James Monroe Elementary School reopens after massive fire 3 years ago
James Monroe Elementary School in Edison, originally destroyed by a massive fire, has reopened.
Nearly three years ago, a fire, sparked by a former custodian's discarded cigarette, burned the school to the ground.
Jerome Higgins was cited for smoking in a non-smoking area and has since retired.
After a legal battle in which the insurance company agreed to pay $19 million to rebuild the school, as well as voters approving an $18.6 million bond costing them about $21 per year, the school is open once again.
Edison's school superintendent called it a very long journey.
Students have been attending classes in the former Saint Ceceli's School in the Iselin section of town for the past two years while the school was being rebuilt.
The new building has some added improvements. A second floor has been added, along with a gym, stage and cafeteria.