Puppies sickened by rat poison in Jackson; owners suspect foul play

Two beagle puppies in Jackson nearly died after their owners say they were purposely fed rat poison.



Ann and Mike Zappia say that they became worried when their 6-month-old beagle Becky became unusually quiet and stopped eating.



"We didn't know what was wrong, and they started taking tests," Ann Zappia says.



The veterinarian said the puppy ate rat poison and required blood transfusions and intravenous medications.



The couple's other beagle puppy, Jimmy, also tested positive for the poison. The older beagle was OK.



The couple says that they believe that the act was intentional due to recent barking complaints. The dogs live in pens in the backyard, along with dozens of chickens.



The Zappias say that this isn't the first time someone has intentionally poisoned their dogs. Two other beagles died two years ago after they ingested the rat poison.



"Somebody's nuts, that's my opinion," says Ann Zappia. "Somebody has got to be so cruel."



The New Jersey SPCA is investigating the incident.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."