Consumer Alert: Holiday decoration fire prevention

The arrival of the holiday season means it's time to put up festive decorations, but without proper precautions, they can prove dangerous. Officials say that a third of fatal house fires happen in December and January.



Fire officials say one mistake many people make is overloading electrical sockets.



A Hightstown family found this out the hard way two years ago when a fire broke out in their home a few days before Christmas. They were forced to evacuate in less than two minutes and one family member suffered third-degree burns.



Fire officials also offer other safety tips when it comes to holiday decorations.



" Don't use indoor holiday lights outdoors

" Throw away holiday lights with frayed wires or broken sockets

" Keep extension cords away from wet areas

" Turn off holiday lights before going to bed or leaving the house

" Only buy products marked with the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) safety approval

" Make sure smoke detectors are working and have fresh batteries


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."