Consumer Alert: Dangerous toys
The Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning of toys that may be hazardous to children this holiday season.
The CPSC banned several products this year, including small, powerful magnets that can be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Other advice includes avoiding small balls or toys with small parts for children under 3 years old. They can be a choking hazard. Parents should also keep toys intended for older children away from younger siblings.
Batteries should also only be charged under adult supervision. Some charges don't have a mechanism to prevent overcharging, which could pose a burn risk to young children.
Last year, 185,000 children went to the emergency room with toy-related injuries. About 45 percent of those ER visits had to do with scooters or other riding toys.