Hoboken fire damages at least 3 multi-unit homes
A three-alarm fire has been extinguished after causing damage to several multi-home units in Hoboken early Saturday morning.
The fire sparked at 803 Washington St.
Witnesses say at the peak of the fire, flames were visibly shooting through the roof. They say the fire may have started in a top-floor apartment, which was completely gutted out.
"I started smelling smoke and my first concern was obviously what's going on and then when I noticed across the street it looked like there was a fire," said Vito Buzzerio, the owner of nearby Vito's Deli. "My first concern was obviously my neighbors to see if everybody was OK."
It is unknown how many families were forced to evacuate or if anyone sustained any injuries.
Investigators are working to determine what sparked the flames.
A majority of Washington Street has been shut down while the fire is investigated.