Man credited with saving neighbors from Trenton fire

A Trenton man sprang into action when he woke up to the smell of smoke early Saturday morning, and he is credited with saving his neighbors from a quick-moving fire that destroyed five rowhomes.



The flames broke out around 5:20 a.m. on Home Avenue. Fire officials tell News 12 New Jersey the fire likely started in an electric box located on the outside of one of the homes.



t then spread up through the walls, and began to travel by the roof down the length of the block, destroying the homes in its path.



Billy Flyer says he woke to the smell of smoke and when he went to investigate he found flames.



Flyer says he called 911 and told everyone in his home to evacuate before going to all his neighbors and telling them to do the same. 



"I found a fire by the electrical box, called 911, woke up my neighbors, fire department showed up and able to stop it," says Flyer.



Fire officials say more than a dozen people are now displaced, but no one was seriously injured in the fire.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."