Neighbors help pull Carteret family from burning home

An early morning fire destroyed a home in Carteret Thursday.



The fire started at a home on Hagaman Street around 5 a.m.



James Warren says he was sleeping when he was woke by the smell of smoke. He was able to wake up his mother and brother, but smoke quickly filled the house and made it difficult to escape. The neighbors saw the flames from their home and ran over to help pull the family out.



Warren was discharged from the hospital Thursday afternoon. His mother and brother are still being treated for smoke inhalation.



Firefighters remained on the scene Thursday night, monitoring the rubble for hotspots.



The Carteret mayor has arranged for temporary housing for the Warren family. The mayor says anyone who wishes to donate to a charity trust fund for the family can do so at Borough Hall located at 61 Cooke Ave.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."