Man suffers severe burns in Oakland house fire

A man was severely burned during an early morning house fire in Oakland.



The fire broke out just before 6 a.m. Thursday in the home at 28 Ryerson St.



Homeowner Charles Graf tells News 12 New Jersey that he lived in the home with two housemates. They all ran out through the front door when the fire broke out, but Graf's friend Ronald Gibbens was severely burned on his chest.



One of the housemates noticed the flames first and screamed for everyone to wake up.



Firefighters extinguished the flames within 15 minutes.



Gibbens was taken to St. Barnabas Medical Center to be treated for the burns. His condition was not immediately known.



Several local and county law enforcement officers were on the scene through Thursday afternoon investigating the blaze.



Graf says that he wonders if the fire was started by a candle.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."