Vigil held for Linden boy, 9, killed by CO poisoning

A vigil was held in Linden Saturday evening to remember the 9-year-old boy who passed away this week after being overcome by carbon monoxide. Oshiobugie

Oshiobugie Asekomhe and his 10-year-old sister, Emike, were unresponsive when their mother found them in their bedroom Tuesday morning in their Linden home.

Oshiobugie Asekomhe and his 10-year-old sister, Emike, were unresponsive when their mother found them in their bedroom Tuesday morning in their Linden home. (5/7/16)

LINDEN - A vigil was held in Linden Saturday evening to remember the 9-year-old boy who passed away this week after being overcome by carbon monoxide.

Oshiobugie Asekomhe and his 10-year-old sister, Emike, were unresponsive when their mother found them in their bedroom Tuesday morning in their Linden home.

Emike survived and is in critical condition.

Authorities say high levels of carbon monoxide were found in the bedroom. They say the carbon monoxide may have been caused by the improper venting of fumes from the home's furnace.

Authorities say a carbon monoxide detector didn't appear to be working.

"I pray God keeps him in a better place," said Sefiatu Abu, the boy's mother.

The vigil was held in Dorothy Ford Park, where Oshiobugie's former teachers and neighborhood parents came to support the grieving family.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

One of the tickets was sold at the 1 Winning lottery tickets sold in New Jersey
Collection agencies working for the IRS may call 2 Consumer Alert: IRS collections
Multiple injuries reported following bus accident in East 3 Multiple injuries reported following bus accident in East Brunswick
The water line feeds many homes and business 4 Water main break in Kearny affects Bayonne
A new United Way ALICE report has found 5 Report: 37% of NJ households can’t afford basic needs

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills a 9-year-old boy and Police: Carbon monoxide poisoning kills boy, injures sister

Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning likely caused the death of a 9-year-old boy and seriously

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills a 9-year-old boy and Authorities ID boy apparently killed by carbon monoxide

Authorities have released the name of a young boy apparently killed by carbon monoxide inside

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills a 9-year-old boy and Vigil set for boy, 9, apparently killed by carbon monoxide

A candlelight vigil is planned in memory of a 9-year-old boy believed to have been

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE