VERNON - A 7-year-old boy is being called a hero by his family after he saved his older brother from choking by performing the Heimlich maneuver.
Mason Shirhall says he and his 10-year-old brother, Gavin, were having dinner Saturday night when Gavin started choking on a meatball. The boy says his big brother was unable to talk and was making choking gestures. The younger boy sprang into action and performed the Heimlich on his brother and the meatball was dislodged.
The boys' father is a volunteer firefighter and says he taught his sons how to perform the Heimlich during a Cub Scout meeting.