Study shows fraudulent use of National School Lunch Program

Results of a three-year study found major flaws with the oversight of the free school lunch program that may be allowing fraudulent use of the

Results of a three-year study found major flaws with the oversight of the free school lunch program that may be allowing fraudulent use of the program.

Results of a three-year study found major flaws with the oversight of the free school lunch program that may be allowing fraudulent use of the program. (7/17/13)

TRENTON - Results of a three-year study found major flaws with the oversight of the free school lunch program that may be allowing fraudulent use of the program.

The National School Lunch Program provides meals for 31 million students who otherwise might not get lunch every day.

New Jersey Comptroller Matt Boxer says the state's free lunch program has been compromised. More than 100 people have been found lying about income and other qualifications in order to receive meals.

Boxer says only 3 percent of the applications can be easily checked. "The other 97 percent of applications generally are not subject to verification at all," he says. "And those applicants never have to submit any pay stubs or other proof of income."

In Trenton's school district, there is a strong need for free and reduced price lunches, but school districts receive additional state and federal aid based on the number of children deemed eligible for the free lunch program. Boxer says this encourages some districts to commit fraud.

News 12 New Jersey reached out to Trenton's superintendent about the district's oversight, and what tactics the district use to get people to sign up, but did not get a response.
 

More on this topic

School Lunch Fraud

NJ State Comptroller report

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Interview with mother of transgender girl 1 VIDEO: Interview with mother of transgender girl
This is a sketch of a suspect wanted 2 Police impersonator sought in New Milford
Jersey Weekend Buzz 3 Jersey Weekend Buzz
The body of Trupal Patel, 29, was found 4 Discovery of body in Wall prompts murder investigation
The body of Trupal Patel, 29, was found 5 Discovery of body in Wall prompts murder investigation

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE