SPRINGFIELD - Authorities in Union County say 20 people are homeless after a four-alarm fire in Springfield this afternoon.

Investigators say a plumber's propane torch may have sparked the fast-moving fire that tore through nine units at Short Hills Village around noon.

Fire officials say all 20 residents made it out unharmed, but three firefighters had to be taken to hospitals for minor injuries.

Neighbors say the entire roof of the building was consumed by the flames and thick black smoke. A spokeswoman from the Red Cross said that victims without a place to stay would be put up at area hotels.