MAPLEWOOD - Students and staff at Seth Boyden Elementary School in Maplewood will not be celebrating Halloween in class this year.
According to a letter sent home to parents, the school’s principal and the PTA made the decision on Oct. 12.
They say the decision was made because the school has a diverse community and about 20 percent of the school's student body did not participate in last year's celebrations.
“In the past, in-school celebrations of Halloween have made many of our students feel left out – last year 120 students did not participate…and many other families kept their children home on that day,” Principal Mark Quiles said in the letter.
A South Orange-Maplewood School District spokeswoman said the policy doesn't extend to other schools in the district or to other holidays at Seth Boyden Elementary.
Superintendent John Ramos Sr. issued a statement saying he respects the school's decision.
Halloween celebrations were also canceled last year at Seth Boyden Elementary, but the decision was reversed.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.