TRENTON - The Luther Towers apartment building in Trenton was evacuated late Wednesday night after an electrical fire broke out in a basement utility room.

Officials say that a number of the building's residents, mostly senior citizens, were either bed-ridden or too sick to move themselves. According to the chief who led the rescue, police and firefighters successfully removed everyone from the building even if it meant carrying them down the stairwell.

Residents were taken to a Red Cross shelter at the Joyce Kilmer Elementary School. With no air conditioning units working, nearly 200 tenants were not allowed back into the building this afternoon.

Repairs are under way and tenants hope to be back in their homes by Thursday night.

Luther Towers building management had no comment regarding the fire.