NEW BRUNSWICK - Residents are allowed back home after a transformer fire near a New Brunswick post office prompted evacuations.

PSEG says an underground transformer malfunctioned on Kirkpatrick Street, causing a fire at around 11 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say that they recall hearing an explosion before seeing the flames and smoke.

A two-block radius around Bayard and Kirkpatrick streets was evacuated as a precaution.

Postal services at the Bayard Street Post Office will be temporarily relocated to the post office at 33 Handy St. 

Bayard Street P.O. box customers can pick up their mail by presenting a photo ID Tuesday at the Handy Street location.

There were no injuries reported from the fire.