NEWARK - Two stars of "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" pleaded not guilty to fraud charges at a court appearance Wednesday.

Teresa and Guiseppe "Joe" Giudice entered the plea before a federal judge.

They were charged last month in a 39-count indictment with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications and bankruptcy fraud.

The two are accused of exaggerating their income when applying for loans, then hiding their improving fortunes in a bankruptcy filing.

They are also accused of submitting fraudulent mortgage and loan applications and fabricating tax returns and W2 forms.

Prosecutors allege Joe Giudice also failed to file federal tax returns from 2004 to 2008.

Joe Giudice's attorney Miles Feinstein says he is confident in his client's case.

When asked what his client would tell her fans about the charges, Teresa Giudice's lawyer says, "Teresa is a popular figure and it's important for her fans to know that she's confident but concerned. That's she's preparing but also taking care of her family."

They lawyers say they represent the husband and wife separately, but that the couple will support each other during the process.

The Giudices remain free on a $500,000 bail each, but cannot travel outside New Jersey or New York without giving the court at least three days notice.

The trial is scheduled to begin Oct. 8. But attorneys say it will likely not start until next year.

If convicted on all counts the Giudices face up to 30 years in prison. Joe Giudice, who is an Italian citizen, could also be deported.