HACKENSACK - A judge has ordered a New Jersey priest held while a grand jury considers whether he violated a legal agreement to stay away from children.
Michael Fugee appeared for a brief court appearance Tuesday in Bergen County, where he's charged with contempt of a judicial order.
Fugee was convicted of aggravated criminal assault in 2003, but the conviction was thrown out on a legal technicality. Fugee reached a deal with prosecutors in 2007, but he was ordered not to have unsupervised contact with parishioners under 18.
READ MORE: New Jersey Crime Stories
But prosecutors say he had contact with youngsters while working as a priest between 2010 and 2012, in Wyckoff and Colts Neck. At least two other encounters occurred at the Sacred Heart Church in Rochelle Park, where Fugee allegedly heard confessions from minors.
Prosecutors also say Fugee accompanied children on church retreats.
"Road to Recovery," a nonprofit group which represents abused children, is calling for the resignations of the archbishop of Newark and Monsignor John Doran.
Fugee resigned from the Newark Archdiocese earlier this month after he admitted he worked unsupervised with kids.
In a statement the archdiocese said, "When the archdiocese learned of Father Fugee's violation of certain of its protocols during his off-hours, he was informed there would be significant consequences." The archdiocese says it is working to prevent a similar situation from happening again.