PATERSON - Nearly a dozen families have been displaced after a fire in their apartment building revealed numerous code violations.

More than three dozen firefighters were called to the scene of the fire at the three-story building on Gould Avenue in Paterson just after 4 a.m. Thursday morning.

Officials say the fire started in the basement of the structure and was extinguished in about 20 minutes.

Building inspectors entered the building and found excessive violations, including electrical problems.

No one was injured in the fire, and the Red Cross has been called to help residents with housing and other needs. Spokesperson John Thomas says the owner of the building has been working with them to assist the tenants.

Officials have not said when they will be allowed back into their homes.