PASSAIC - Passaic police say a 3-year-old has died after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday in a snow-covered car.
Passaic police confirmed that Saniyah Bonilla died Wednesday. Her mother, Sashalynn Rosa, 23, and 1-year-old brother Messiah Bonilla died Saturday.
Police say that the children’s father had been shoveling out the family's car during Saturday’s blizzard while Rosa and their children sat inside to keep warm. They didn't realize the car's exhaust pipe was covered and blocked with snow, causing the deadly gas to leak inside the car.
The mother and children lost consciousness inside the car.
Saniyah Bonilla spent four days at the hospital before her death.
A spokesperson for the Passaic Police Department says, “Everyone in the city was praying that the little girl got better. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time.”
Police say that this was an awful accident. No charges are expected to be filed.
Six deaths have now been attributed to Saturday's storm.