PARAMUS - A Paramus school bus driver is bring credited with making sure none of his students were hurt during a fire.
Jose Rodriguez, of Paterson, safely evacuated all 22 of his students from the bus after a fire sparked inside the engine of the bus.
Rodriguez, who drives for the Jordan Bus Company, told police he was traveling north on Spring Valley Road when he noticed smoke coming from the bus. He says that he immediately pulled over and got everyone out.
The fire completely consumed the bus. As a result, about 40 gallons of diesel fuel spilled on the road. The fuel was cleaned by the Paramus and Bergen County hazmat teams.
Spring Valley Road was closed for about three hours while crews dealt with the aftermath of the fire.
Police say that the cause of the fire did not appear suspicious.