Over 50 displaced in early morning Jersey City fire

A massive fire that began in a house's basement in Jersey City quickly spread early this morning, burning down home after home and displacing over

JERSEY CITY - A massive fire that began in a house's basement in Jersey City quickly spread early this morning, burning down home after home and displacing over 20 families.

According to Jersey City firefighters, the fire is believe to have started in an electrical outlet in a Claremont Avenue house that had cell phones plugged into it. The flames quickly spread, taking out almost an entire block of homes.

People were given shelter across the street at the Board of Education building, and the Red Cross is assisting in helping the families.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Jewish Community Center in Edison temporarily evacuated after 1 JCC in Edison temporarily evacuated after bomb threat
87-year-old Inge Goldstein poses with a sign she 2 Women's March event to be held in Pompton Plains
Jersey City police looking for shooter after bullets 3 Bullets strike one person, NJ Transit bus in Jersey City
Jersey City police looking for shooter after bullets 4 Bullets strike one person, NJ Transit bus in Jersey City
A make-shift memorial sits at the site where 5 Shooting leaves 3 dead in Jersey City

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE