EDISON - Officials confirm that a woman is dead after a fire tore through a home in Edison.

The fire started at around 7:30 a.m. Saturday in a home on Matson Road. It then spread to the house next door, causing some damage.

The identity of the woman has not yet been released. Officials say several cats and dogs also died.

The woman is believed to have been renting out space in the home from a father and daughter, who own the property. She was found in the bathroom after firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Some fire personnel were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters removed many charred items from the home that were collected by the homeowners to sell at flea markets. The Edison fire chief told News 12 that it is not necessarily a case of hoarding, however.

News 12 was told that a contractor did some work on the house recently, having installed new siding and performed some electrical work. It remains to be seen whether that played a part in sparking the blaze.