Officials: No smoke alarms in fatal Middletown fire

MIDDLETOWN - Investigators have announced today that there were no smoke alarms or sprinklers inside the Middletown home where a six-alarm fire killed four people Tuesday.

The flames broke out just before 3 a.m. at 135 Statesir Place. The owner of the house, Stephan Banovich, says his sister-in-law woke him up after smelling smoke. He told fire investigators when he went outside to see what was burning, the house became engulfed in flames.

Banovich was able to escape unharmed, but his sister-in-law died while trying to rescue a pet. Banovich also lost his wife, Sheridan Banovich, and their daughter, Diedre Banovich. The daughter's live-in boyfriend, Anthony Cadalzo, also died.

Investigators say a cigarette or match tossed into a trash can sparked the fire.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The Bayonne Board of Education voted Wednesday evening 1 Nearly 300 Bayonne School District employees, including teachers, laid off
Bayonne layoffs 2 Bayonne layoffs
Students walked out of their classrooms Thursday morning 3 Nearly 300 Bayonne School District employees laid off; students walk out
Students walked out of their classrooms Thursday morning 4 Students walk out after Bayonne School District lays off nearly 300 employees
Ruben Mondalto was able to wander away from 5 Toddler wanders away from Sayreville day care

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE