JERSEY SHORE - Health officials have issued a warning after potentially toxic smooth puffer fish were found at the Jersey Shore.

At least one smooth puffer fish was caught in the Barnegat Bay by Captain Brett Taylor, of Reel Reaction Sportsfishing. He released it back into the ocean.

The FDA warns against eating smooth puffer fish because it can be extremely toxic. Ingesting the fish can cause tingling, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness or complete respiratory paralysis leading to death.

Officials say that there is no known antidote to puffer fish toxin.

Smooth puffer fish are typically seen in warmer waters near Bermuda or South America, but they have recently made their way to New Jersey.

Some kinds of puffer fish are considered a delicacy. Trained chefs know what parts to eat and how much can be eaten without getting sick.