Residents warned of carbon monoxide after Union City scare

Law enforcement officers want New Jersey residents to know the dangers of carbon monoxide. The warning comes after several people were treated for carbon monoxide

Officials caution New Jersey residents on carbon monoxide danger after Union City family scare.

Officials caution New Jersey residents on carbon monoxide danger after Union City family scare. (1/6/16)

UNION CITY - Law enforcement officers want New Jersey residents to know the dangers of carbon monoxide.

The warning comes after several people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Union City. Four residents in a home on Palisade Avenue and two police offers were hospitalized Tuesday night after becoming overcome by the fumes.

“The levels of carbon monoxide were extremely high at the time,” says Union City Police Chief Richard Molinar.

Chief Molinar says that people can become sick before they even know there is a problem.

“It’s colorless, odorless and you don’t know it’s there until unfortunately someone succumbs to the effects,” he says.

Last April, East Orange resident Octavia Campbell and her 7-year-old daughter Christiana were found dead in their Dodd Street home after exposure to the gas.

The chief says residents should make sure carbon monoxide detectors are installed in their homes. Most smoke detectors now include carbon monoxide detection, and many towns offer free carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to those who do not have them.

Landlords are required by law to provide them in multiple dwelling buildings. Detectors should be placed close to where people sleep so they will be woken up if the alarm goes off.

Experts warn residents to be careful using furnaces, space heaters and gas ovens during the winter months. Items such as these often give off carbon monoxide gas.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Route 17 in Paramus reopens following tractor-trailer accident 1 Tractor-trailer accident causes problems on Route 17 in Paramus
Two apartment buildings on West St. George Avenue 2 Residents allowed back home after suspicious device found in Linden
Fire at apartment complex leaves one man dead 3 Fire at apartment complex leaves one man dead
A 36-year-old woman was beaten and raped in 4 Woman beaten, raped at gunpoint in Highland Park
Two apartment buildings on West St. George Avenue 5 Residents allowed back home after suspicious device found in Linden

advertisement | advertise on News 12

More News

Six people, including two police officers, were treated 6 people treated for CO poisoning in Union City

Six people, including two police officers, were hospitalized after being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

Octavia Campbell, 29, and her 7-year-old daughter Christiana Authorities: Mother, daughter dead of CO poisoning in E. Orange

Authorities confirmed on Friday that a mother and her young daughter died of carbon monoxide

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE