ELIZABETH - Officials say hazmat crews were in Elizabeth today after eight people were overcome by fumes at an apartment complex.

Elizabeth firefighters say the Westminster Avenue incident should be a lesson to everyone not to be too overzealous with pesticide. Firefighters say one tenant sprayed too much pesticide, causing eight people to get sick.

Officials say a young child and an elderly woman, who were treated with oxygen outside the apartment, were among the four tenants who became sick. Four first responders also became sick after arriving on the scene.

Firefighters say they evacuated part of the building until the fumes cleared. Officials say no one was seriously hurt in the incident.