NORTH BERGEN - Donations have been pouring in from the North Bergen community to help the 12 families who were left homeless by a four-alarm fire that ripped through several buildings on Wednesday.
Robert Humphrey Jr., one of the displaced victims, says a space heater in his apartment at 74th and Broadway got too hot and ignited his living room carpet. By the time the fire was under control hours later, 12 families were without a home and five businesses were destroyed.
Aimee Focaraccio, also of North Bergen, put out a call for donations to help the victims on Facebook, and within hours, she had 10 bags of donated clothing. Two days later, the number grew to 150 bags, and victims were able to pick up items from the North Bergen Rec Center. Focaraccio called the huge response she got "amazing."
Fire victim Robert Humphrey Sr., agreed. "The community's been wonderful, but I never expected anything less from this community."
Donations can be made to:North Bergen Concerned Citizens GroupKen Morrison201-220-3573
Aimee's Facebook Page:NB Broadway Fire Victims
4-alarm fire rips through North Bergen building