NJ officials warn against eating wild mushrooms

State officials are warning people around New Jersey not to eat wild mushrooms. Authorities say there's no easy way to tell the difference between poisonous

TRENTON - State officials are warning people around New Jersey not to eat wild mushrooms.

Authorities say there's no easy way to tell the difference between poisonous and harmless mushrooms.

The state's Poison Information and Education System says two people were hospitalized in Hudson County in addition to one in Monmouth County and one in Ocean County after eating what they thought were edible mushrooms. Officials say the recent rainfall spawned a bumper crop of mushrooms in the Garden State.

Physicians say that even a few bites can cause serious damage to internal organs.

24-Hour NJ Poison Hotline: 1-800-222-1222

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Fire destroys Union Beach home 1 Fire destroys Union Beach home
Court upholds life sentence for Eatontown man who 3 Court upholds life sentence for Eatontown man who killed daughter
For her 10th birthday, Angelina has a News 4 Fan has News 12-themed birthday party
Authorities conducted a raid at the members-only El 5 2 men face charges in alleged cockfighting, gambling operation

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

It's good to know you have Walt Kane Kane in Your Corner

It's good to know you have Walt Kane in your corner.

News 12 takes a look at the hottest Tech Check

Eric Landskroner has a look at the latest gadgets and biggest stories in tech.

News 12 On the Scene

Check out these exclusive videos from New Jersey celebs!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE