Cara's Homemade Gravy - * 3 tbls olive oil (or enough to cover the bottom of a large stock pot)* 4 large cloves of garlic, chopped* 1/2 an onion, chopped* 1 28oz. can of crushed tomatoes* salt and pepper to taste* 2 tbls basil* 1 1/2 tbls oregano* 1 tbls parsley* 1 - 2 shakes of red pepper flakes* 1 bay leaf* 1/4 c. red wine
* Coat bottom of large stock pot with olive oil, add garlic and onions and saute over medium-high heat until garlic begins to turn golden
* Add tomatos (a quick rinse of warm water will get any leftovers out of the can)
* Heat until tomatos begin to bubble, then add salt and pepper
* Add spices, stirring after each addition. (Really and truly this not an exact science, it's whatever you'd like, I usually smell the sauce after each addition to make sure it smells good! Remember you can always add more but you can't take it out!)
* Add wine and stir.
*You could eat the sauce right away or let simmer on lowest setting to really make it good!!
* 1 1/2 lbs mixed ground meats (beef, pork & veal)* 1 egg* 2 - 2 1/2 c. italian seasoned stuffing - moistened with 1 c. of warm water.* 1 c. parmesan cheese * 2 - 3 tbls parsley* salt and pepper to taste
* Add all ingredients to bowl, mix with hands* Roll into balls about 3 - 4 inches in diameter
*You can cook the meatballs in your sauce for at least an hour, you can fry them in a pan first or you could bake them in the oven