NEWARK - Newark Mayor Cory Booker suffered smoke inhalation while saving his neighbor from her burning house this evening.

The house next door to Newark Mayor Cory Booker's home caught fire this evening. Officials say the fire has since been brought under control. Booker has tweeted that he is OK.

Booker's communications director tells News 12 New Jersey that when the mayor arrived home from taping Talk to 12 on News 12 New Jersey, he noticed the house next door to his was on fire. He went in and brought his neighbor to safety before firefighters arrived, the spokesman says.